When Walter's Pharmacy opened its doors in 1937, Malcolm Gross was Allentown's mayor and President Franklin Roosevelt was concerned with the rising cost of living during the United States’ recovery from the Great Depression. During this time, Drene Shampoo was selling for 49 cents, Alka-Seltzer tablets for 24 cents and chocolate covered cherries cost 19 cents for a one-pound box. Room-sized rugs were selling for $23 at Hess Brothers.
Sears, Roebuck and Co. sold blankets for 51 cents. In 1937, Walter's Pharmacy was at 13th & Hamilton Streets and employed only two people.
Today, Walter's Pharmacy is located in the Allentown Medical Center at 401 North 17th Street in Allentown. With a staff of more than 20, including 3 pharmacists, 8 registered pharmacy technicians and 3 delivery men, we are proud to serve the Greater Lehigh Valley.